10.05.2009

Thai Mussels

These are easily the best mussels I have ever had. I had always been too intimidated to cook mussels; my first attempt was just a few months ago. I used mussels from Indian Point , a local, sustainable mussel farm, using the following recipe from Donna Hay . I picked up a fresh bag of mussels at the Halifax Farmer's Market this weekend and whipped up a batch for a friend's house party. I won't take any of the credit for this recipe, but these are soooo good, both hot or cold.

Mussels with garlic, lime and coconut


I TBSP peanut oil
2 bulbs garlic, thinly sliced
2 long red chilies, seeds removed and thinly sliced
1 TBSP finely grated ginger
1 cup coconut milk
4 kaffir lime leaves
2 kg mussels, scrubbed
lime wedges and cilantro, as garnish


Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic, chile and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Add the coconut milk and lime leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 5 minutes or until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that don't open. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro leaves. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment