5.04.2010

Ambivalence


I am close to finishing Anne Kingston's enlightening and provocative book The Meaning of Wife, and it has definitely woken up my feminist side. It has made me question why I would ever want to enter into an institution fraught with such restrictions and indiscretions placed upon women and also articulated many of the feelings I have about women in contemporary society. How quickly I am swayed... I saw this wedding at Lake Jane today that had me dreaming of my own fairy-tale event. This phenomenon is actually discussed in Kingston's book, many women have ambivalence about marriage but most are excited about the wedding, the ring, the dress... Could I perhaps have love and a big party to celebrate it- without a legal contract and the dreaded title of wife?





















3 comments:

  1. these are beautiful pictures of a love celebration!

    Twila
    blog.twilasvintageclothing.com
    www.twilavintageclothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. christian barnard land studioJune 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM

    love the concept of the outdoor theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to think that, until I met Vince, my husband. It used to be the 'w' word. Meeting him made the wife part perfectly happy and comfortable.

    There were six people at the wedding, including us and the officiant, and 2 at the reception, just us.

    That said, I think there is a ridiculous pressure on people, especially women, to be married.

    ReplyDelete